Well, I didn't just start there. I did spend several days in a planning phase before setting out on my endeavor. I measured the space (it wasn't easy when you can't really get in there). I researched small walk-in closet ideas. I shopped around for solutions. I read several articles on the subject. In the end, I wound up deciding to utilize mostly what I had on hand, only buying a few items that either needed to be replaced or I did not have on hand (i.e., shoe rack and items to be revealed in a later blog). The process has not been easy, and I did not expect it to. But, I was ready for the challenge.
One of the things that really bothered me was the amount of clothing I owned. My weight has fluctuated so much over the last two and half years that amount of clothing I own is ridiculous. Over a year ago, I purged all the clothing that did not fit anymore, and placed them in totes overhead in my garage. Usually I would suggest moving on from owning those items, but the weight gain was supposed to be a temporary setback after a cycling injury that had been overcome, and I was ready to get back into shape. Unfortunately, I was injured a lot worse a month later in a way that would pack on the pounds in a way I never would have believed, increasing my wardrobe again in the process.
|My bed afterward|
While the process with the shoes was much easier that I blogged about in Closet Redo: The Process - Shoes, this was not exactly the same type of process. What I decided to do was to take the strategy of only keeping out what fit and what I wear now. No prisoners.
Once I got started again, I did find a rhythm that allowed me to get the job done in a way that made me want to get as much done as I could do tonight. It made me feel like a winner when I was finally able to say that I was done segmenting everything out to their appropriate places in the closet, so that I could start to map out my next plan of attack.
|The back of the closet|
|The right side of the closet|
As noted, I had mentioned that the longest pieces were moved to the right and toward the back, while the shorter of the longer pieces were on the right toward the front. As I sit and ponder the photos, I'm thinking that the space might look better if I push those pieces that are up front toward the back and maybe look at other options toward the front. Maybe a mirror in front?
|The 9 cube shelving|
|A basket hiding purses|
I have to say that the whole process has been quite cathartic. I have even started to plan what I'll do with the old shelving units that I had poked back in the closet to help continue cleaning up my office/craft room (a task that keeps getting back burnered). But the one thing I can say, is that it is already making me feel better about opening the closet door and not having to fight to get in there to find what I need anymore. That is what this whole project is about.
But it isn't over just yet. There are still things that still need to happen to finish it out. And that will be in the next blog, which will hopefully be tomorrow sometime.
Oh, and one last thing, I was under full supervision this whole time, but I think they are both ready for it to come to an end now.
Post a Comment